Rock ‘n’ Roll: Using Student Interests for Science Fair Project Ideas

One of the ways that I have found to get kids interested in science is to relate it to something that they are interested in. For teenagers three of the most fascinating topics are sex, drugs and rock and roll. While you may have to be careful about approaching these topics, they can be used to inspire some very interesting science experiments.

The subject of sex can be integrated into a G or PG rated science project by examining human behavior. Science experiments can be set up to examine how boys flirt compared to how girls flirt, or how older adults flirt compared to how younger people flirt. Clothing choices and ornamentation can also be examined from various cultures to see what is considered attractive.

When using drugs as a topic for a science project it is important to monitor how the project is set up. Human testing is not generally allowed for kids in elementary or high school level science fairs, so you will want to examine the chemical components of drugs and use pre-existing data to link physical reactions to drug use. You may also want to set up scientific research projects that examine how cultural opinions about drugs influences the types of drugs used and how often the drugs are used. Safe drug experiments can look at the number one drug for teens, caffeine.

Rock and roll is probably the safest of the three topics to explore. Sound experiments, wave length experiments and the reaction that certain types of music has on heart rates can all be great ways to explore the world of rock and roll from a scientific perspective.

Teachers and parents need to find fun and exciting ways to get kids interested in science. Science experiments that utilize topics that kids are interested in are just one way to get them involved. When selecting topics for school science fair projects or state level science fair projects, try to utilize pop culture as a source of inspiration.

9 thoughts on “Rock ‘n’ Roll: Using Student Interests for Science Fair Project Ideas

1. Teens Really Matter says:

I’ve always hated Science, but never “Science Experiments”..

Great Post!

2. Stella@mortgage insurance Ontario says:

Your not alone. I hate science, not because I don’t like it, just it’s bcausse I do not understand science. But this post is good.

3. SPORTS PICKS says:

Yeah it’s crazy how many students have no interest in Math or Scienece these days. These are the most improtant subjects for our society today in my opinion.

4. Fancy Dress Costumes says:

My job involves some science and I have to show clients some experiments to convince them. Some of them told me, “I don’t want to know all these scientific stuffs!”
    LOL. I guess not only kids get bored. But adult too.

5. Janelle@Queen bed frames says:

Very interesting article! I like the idea of relating science to kids’ interests as opposed to just cramming facts down their throats (which is how I was taught, and why I don’t remember any of it now!)
    Thanks,
    -Janelle

6. Paul@Sony MDR 7506 says:

Flying is another hot topic for many kids. Many kids are amazed by airplanes or birds, so the opportunity for science projects relating to Aviation (ie: Lift/Drag/etc) or Birds presents it self quite often.

In later education years (ie: high school or college) it can be even more amazing the type of projects that can be completed. Think about taking a GPS logging device up in an airplane and then plotting your course using Google Earth so you can visually see your path in 3D.

7. fancy dress says:

Well using students interests will ultimately mean they are interested in the topic in hand. As a result you will end up with projects that have had great time, effort and enthusiasm put into them. Little would they know….they would have learned something along they way!

Great Post!

8. mc neill ergolight says:

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

Comments are closed.