Food experiments explore food products for man’s best friend

Science fair projects on dog food can be gross, scientific, fun or technical. There are a lot of angles that your food experiments can take. However, to get the best reaction possible from the judges at your local science fair, you need to develop a great project that not only is informative, but that is also innovative and practical.

Does processed dog food replicate the natural diet wild dogs would eat? This hypothesis is great for science fair projects on dog food. To test it you will need to research what members of the dog family eat in the wild. The closest relatives to the dog are foxes, wolves and coyotes. After conducting this research you will want to compare the wild diet to the ingredients found in dog food.

How do dogs digest their food? The purpose of this project is to see how dogs process food. You will want to set up safe observation sessions to examine how dogs pick up food and chew it. You will then need to conduct background research to determine what happens next. To advance this project you can examine dog poop to see how well they digest their food, and what extra items they are eating, like toys, cotton and fabric.

Can a dog be a vegetarian? This hypothesis is very interesting. Currently there are no natural dog vegetarians. Dogs are mainly carnivorous, and generally only eat vegetation for medicinal purposes. In this experiment you will want to examine if a vegetarian diet would be able to (1) be digested by a dog’s digestive system and (2) provide the dog with the nutrients that it needs to stay healthy.

What dog foods produce the most gas? This is a fun and gross experiment that is definitely unique. To complete this experiment you will want to set up several experiments. You will feed your dog a different dog food brand each week and chart how gassy they seem to be after eating each dog food brand. In your journal you will want to note how many times they break wind, how loud it is and what it smells like. I told you this was a gross one.

The final dog food experiment that you can conduct will be to determine if dogs prefer sweet or savory flavors. This is a great hypothesis for candy science fair projects. To test this hypothesis you will need to set up two feeding stations that are fairly close together. One station will have a piece of candy an done station will have a meaty treat. See which station your dog goes to first. Repeat this experiment several times over a week. You can advance this project by using the data from this experiment to predict a trend for dogs in general. Then run a lot of dogs through this experiment to see if your predictions were correct.

20 thoughts on “Food experiments explore food products for man’s best friend

1. George@Dog Walkers says:

I would choose the food mix that has the best mix of vitamins and nutrients for my dog along with the one that is the best tasting.

2. matthew@food franchises says:

My partner is a vegan and she is OK with feeding our dog meat, however I do hear of some vegetarians/vegans who feed their dog only what they would eat themselves.. i.e. no animal products. Seems to me to go against the grain of nature.

3. Steve@Iams Dog Food Coupons says:

I’ve tried feeding my dogs a no meat diet before and it did not go well, they were very gassy which I didn’t think would be the case. That lasted 2 weeks, then back to the meat.

4. Rom@1800PetMeds Blog says:

I want nothing else for my pooch but the best nutrition as well. I also read on other blogs that some dogs are going green – that is opting for veggies and fruits.

5. Craig@magnetic Dog Door says:

These experiments some good in theory, but changing a dogs diet suddenly can cause issues that will effect the outcome. Lets say that you all of a sudden go off of your normal diet and eat nothing but mexican food or chinese food. Your stool would be not normal most likely for a week or two. The same thing happens to dogs. Whenever you switch dog food or diets for a dog it is better to ween over.

6. Kelly@Fat Thighs says:

I sure don’t want to be the one testing the gassy experiment. lol
    I am quite curious though. I have a golden retriever and i hate the fact that i have to buy processed food for her to eat.
    What is a dog’s natural diet? What do they eat in the wild?
    I know for a fact that processed foods aren’t as healthy as natural food.

7. john@Milan Hotels says:

Thanks for the information. A diet which contains protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals in a proportionate manner is considered a balanced diet. One must have a watch on what they eat.

8. ava@here says:

I have always wondered how dog food is flavored the way it is. and what are dogs natural food anyways??

9. Marcus@flexline says:

The question “Can a dog be a vegetarian?” can only have one answer: No!

I’ve never seen a dog that did not eat meat. It’s their nature. I think it’s ok that a human is a vegetarian, but please don’t expect your dog to be the same.

10. Julie @organic dog treats says:

Interesting article! Thanks for sharing. We’ve tried several different diets with our dogs, never vegetarian though. Both of our dogs do best with a natural, grain free kibble, based on fish and potatoes. Lamb is sometimes a good choice, too. But we found both our dogs became sensitized to it, and began vomiting frequently.

Thanks again for sharing!

11. jinnie@designer rugs says:

Today’s life is very busy and competitive and full of stress, strain and rush. So we don’t have time to make proper food and that’s why our health becomes worse and most possibilities to become mentally weak. So we have to eat healthy food which provides us basic energy and stamina. This post provide the essential information about healthy food and diet, so we will easily maintain healthy food and diet in our daily routine to keep us healthy.

12. Herbalife says:

Interesting that such experiments are carried out to help get to know food sources better. But I also think that it is a matter to consider on how food is cooked and processed.

13. Marc@Xbox 360 troubleshooting says:

I’m too attached to my dog to risk his health with the vegetarian experiment. It’s those big sad eyes. Just couldn’t do it.

14. Rob Z @ Dog Wheelchairs says:

My dog takes a particular interest in eating a vegetarian diet. She’s never been much of a meat lover, but does love tuna, corn, mango. Odd!

15. jinnie@raw food diet says:

Dogs require a balanced diet of various vitamins and minerals to ensure good health and long life, this may vary from breed to breed as to the best combination for their specific needs.

16. shailendra@raw food diet says:

__________
    The best way to get some of those lost nutrients is by eating some uncooked raw vegetables. You could have a salad for example. You can also get some of your foods from natural health food stores like Whole Food Market or Trader Joe’s. You can also take vitamin and mineral supplements instead. However, unlike food sources, you can overdose taking supplements.

17. Oliver@word help 2007 says:

I would be very wary about doing experiments such as these in the less-than-rigorously controlled circumstances of a school science fair. Trying new diets on dogs could have very bad results if it is not thoroughly thought out. Be careful.

18. shane@raw food diet says:

well this raw foods are the great source of all the nutrients and help people to maintain there diet so i
    advice to all that try to add some raw food into there diet in order to being fit and healthy. keep it up

19. Devon Bertoni says:

I have been able to work with weights now that I am in high school, and I want to learn which vitamins and minerals to take. I want to take only natural things and stay away from anything like steriods. No way am I gonna mess myself up. Anybody have any advice?

Comments are closed.