Science Projects: EV Challenge

Last week we started a series on science competitions that you and your school can enter. Today I want to continue this discussion by exploring the EV Challenge competition. This competition is focused on transportation technology.

This week’s science competition is the EV Challenge, which has recently been renamed “SMARTT Challenge.” SMARTT stands for “Students Making Advancements in Renewable Transportation Technology.” The name change was done to reflect the new focus of the competition, which is now on renewable transportation technology.

The sponsor of this competition is the Carolina Electric Vehicle Coalition, Inc. The competition is open to both middle schools and high schools, however, the vehicles need to be driven by a high school student. Registration for this competition is open right now, however, you will need to get your registration in by the deadline which is one month after the Fall school semester begins. The first competition will be at the State Fair in October and the final judging event will be in May of 2009.

There are several forms and rule books that you will need to read through before working on your project. However, your project will be judged on the following seven criteria:

• trouble shooting
  • web site development
  • oral presentation
  • auto cross
  • vehicle design
  • school initiative
  • When working on your entry don’t forget to utilize all the resources for energy science projects that are at your disposal including energy science fair supplies providers.

26 thoughts on “Science Projects: EV Challenge

1. Chuggin@best la pavoni stradivari says:

I wanted to let my niece know about this since she is in high school and would love this! Too bad I missed the deadline, but this gives her great ideas for another time.

2. Amy @Free XBox 360 says:

I think the website development is a fundamental skill that all our young people really could do with having atleast a grounding in it. The internet opens so many doors to business and enterprise, ideal for projects like this. Do you have the results of what sorts of projects came forward/won for this one?

3. Blazing Bumblebee says:

I’ve been trying to find out who won, but can’t find any information. Does anyone know where I can find this info?

4. Reece Rochester@HTML Tips says:

When is the next EV Challenge? My nephew is really into this kind of stuff! Also, where can he apply for this? Any web page to do so?

5. Kathy@Luggage Repair Parts says:

I hope my cousin can get involved in this EV Science Challenge. They live in Perth, Australia and hopefully he will be able to participate. These kinds of competition really challenge our kids to think and development critical thinking.

6. New York Glass says:

I’m a little puzzled why a competition on renewable transportation technology uses web development as one of judgment factors.

7. Outdoor Storage Cabinet says:

I agree with sunshine. Many of the big corporations run most of these types of programs for their own benefit. They should at least acknowledge the actual people that contribute to the bright ideas.

8. Marc@xbox troubleshooting says:

It’s surprising how many talented kids there are. I’m always coming across youtube videos posted by kids showing off their latest technical modifications of some electronic game console system. Getting these kids participating in science fair projects with an incentive like your patent idea would reward them with something real and beneficial to them for the rest of their lives. Even if a patent yields no monetary reward, having a patent looks good on their college applications, not to mention when they start looking for employment.

9. Car Insurance for Teenagers says:

I think its great to get our kids thinking and keep them motivated on current science topics. Getting them exposed to various areas will help develop a more thorough background that will help them to adulthood.

10. Reg@Cheap van leasing says:

I’m living proof that science fair projects can be very inspirational. It was a challenge like this, 20 years ago, that led to my career in engineering.
      This is a great initiative.

11. Dee@how to get rid of cold sores fast says:

Is this competition held annually? I hope this kind of competition will be held in every country as this give big advantage for children education.

12. Bobby @ Car Leasing Deals says:

Great competition, fantastic project entries and these challenges without question provide necessary life skills.

13. Jeff @ BMX Racing Bikes says:

I’m happy to see this type of program being emphasized in the schools, I’m sure that these and the efforts of a lot of others will be what leads us to a better future in areas like this one.

14. Ivan@ Used vans says:

Science fair contests are a great way to get kids thinking and also working in teams and they learn a great deal from the experience. We used to have them whilst I was at boarding school, but my daughters school doesn’t participate in any such group activities and its a shame.

15. oliviya@Tunnel Engineer Jobs says:

Science Projects are often the first introduction that a parent has to the wonderful world of school projects. The science project is the perfect time for a kid to be amazed at the way things work in the world around us. Learning about stuff like friction, static electricity and fire is fascinating and fun.

16. film indir says:

17. Renewable Van Hire says:

I’ve been in the van rental business for many years now and I am always looking at sourcing leaner, greener hire vehicles.
      Projects like this are fantastic for kids. I encourage my children to enter similar projects at their school. The future of vehicle hire will be a very different thing than I grew up with. That can only be good news.
      Thank you for keeping natural energy alive.

18. David says:

I own a hybrid car and I think it is great that these types of competition are created for the young minds that are the next generation. My hybrid has dramatically reduced my fuel bill at the pump. I believe the kids going to this competition have a lot of great ideas about improving our uses of natural resources for transportation.

19. Braking Systems says:

Kids must have the time and the tools to experiment and develop a passion for science and engineering. In the near term, that will probably have to take place in after-school programs. Citizen Schools, which operates in 37 sites in seven states, including four Bay Area communities, brings in volunteer engineers, scientists and engineers to engage middle schoolers in hands-on learning.

20. Cargo pants women says:

21. van finance says:

A great idea, why not encourage the entrepreneurs of tomorrow to think about ways in which they can sustain the environment that they will inherit.