Lego Mindstorm NXT – Holiday Gift Ideas

It is gift giving season once again, and yes there are a lot of toys that you can buy for your kids. However, this year as I browsed through the latest toys promoted online I ran across a really cool Lego set. This Lego set, called LEGO® Mindstorm® NXT, not only looks like a lot of fun, but it also will make a great resource for science fair projects. Lego Mindstorm NXT – The Basics The Lego Mindstroms NXT comes with everything that you need to build a number of Lego robot.

You get blocks, a visual sensor, an audio sensor, software and instructions on how to design and build robots with the set. This set works with both Macs and PCs, and it is compatible with both USB 2.0 ports and Bluetooth technology. Science Fair Project Ideas This kit offers you the option of building a number of different types of robots. You can build robots that respond to sound or that respond to motion. You can also build robots that move.

When using this kit to design your science fair project you need to think outside the box and go beyond just replicating the projects that come with the kit. Instead think about applications for these robots, such as for security, entertainment or even housekeeping. Here are a few project ideas that you can work with:

• Can robots be used to carry school books for kids with physical disabilities?
  • Can a robot be developed that uses solar panels for its energy source?
  • Can a robot be programmed to feed your dog?
  • 15 thoughts on “Lego Mindstorm NXT – Holiday Gift Ideas

1. Terry@ Scrub Tops says:

Wow, Legos are this cool today? I must have been hiding under a rock or something to not notice how Lego has made great leaps like this one.

I tell you, with that Lego set, even grown-ups could rediscover their love for Lego.

2. Thad@OPSEC says:

You’d be surprised- the legos that my kids use certainly aren’t the same legos from my day! It’s pretty incredible.
      I remember a few years ago, lego released kits that had some basic battery operated motor with them, and I just thought that it was incredible. I can only imagine what my grandkids will play with!

3. chris@voice lessons on cd says:

it really amazing, that something that was at one time just a “toy” can actually be used for research. My daughter loves science, and pointed this post out to me, wanting to try it out.
      on a side note, wasn’t the first google computer encased in legos?

4. Thad@OPSEC says:

I just ordered one for my son. He’s 10, so he’s right at the minimum “recommended age”, but I think it’ll be a great introduction, and something that he can grow into.
      I’m pretty excited about it, because this seems to be one of those “toys” that can open up new possibilities and options in the child’s eyes. Much like an easel or a tool set, it allows the child to explore a new field, or just to challenge themselves.
      Now I’m pretty sure he can program the bot to feed the dog… If he gets it to take the trash out, I’ll have to start giving the robot an allowance!

5. Alan@legotechnic8292 says:

The earlier you can introduce kids to the concepts between computing and robots the better!

In the next 20 years I do believe we will be using robots for a whole load more tasks and chilodren who have got their head around this will be excellent candidates to do this in the future!

Excellent toy!

6. discount provillus says:

Its amazing how toy robots are enduringly attractive to kids. Building your own toy robot is even better, making it do what you tell it to is best of all – and with the LEGO Mindstorms NXT that’s exactly what kids can do, over and over again, in ways limited only by their imagination. As a Christmas gift, this is a toy that will keep on giving for years after the latest fad craze toy has bitten the dust.

7. Kelly @ Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0 says:

This is probably one of the best investments in Lego we’ve made. My son has ADHD, and the one thing that can keep his attention for hours is building with Legos. For a child who has trouble sitting still for more than a minute, actually sitting and building something, accomplishing something so fantastic as a ROBOT – it’s such a huge help for him. It keeps his mind active, which is helping him learn to concentrate.

8. Sales Recruitment says:

The Mindstorms NXT system (mindstorms.lego.com, $250) brings Mindstorms into the 21st century, with a 32-bit ARM7 microcontroller, 256KB of Flash memory, 64KB of RAM, USB and Bluetooth connectivity, both Mac and Windows interfacing, and lots of cool motors and sensors (three servos, ultrasonic sensor, sound sensor, light sensor, touch sensor). And the mechanical components have been rethought to make them less prone to falling apart during active bot-on-bot action.

9. Festival Tents says:

A University of Malaga group in Spain, led by Professor Elizabeth Barbancho, devised a Lego Mindstorms NXT that can play Name That Tune when you play chords on the guitar, tickle piano keys, whistle or hum. The clever bot will then suggest other songs that are similar. A team also came up with a system that uses augmented reality technology to make a virtual keyboard, useful for those without a real one. Other researchers from the group came up with a method of turning ordinary songs into a format that is similar to the one used in “Guitar Hero.”

10. white file cabinet says:

After tearing open all the bags and sorting through the bricks, we installed the software. Included in the application are instructions for building a few different robots. We chose a sentry shooterbot that detects intruders within its perimeter and attacks them.

11. Freya Swimwear says:

I think combining the versatility of the LEGO building system with a microcomputer brick and intuitive programming software, this building kit enables you to construct robots that see, speak, feel, and move. Designed for ages 10 and up, the 2.0 robotics tool set features everything you need to create and program your first robot in approximately one hour. After that, you can create an endless lineup of robots that do what you want–if you can dream it, you can build it. This is an AWESOME toy for this Holiday season.

12. Top Web Hosting Providers says:

If a piece does not clearly show in the pictures they have circled it for easy reference so you have a large circle on the part that you may not have seen. This means they went to great lengths to make sure you could see and follow the step by step building pictures to create each robotic invention.

13. stacie@Music Festivals says:

Thanks for posting. My boyfriend loves Lego, despite being in his thirties. He’s like a big kid and loves tecnology so he’d love the Mindstorm set. I don’t think lego ever really stopped being cool though. It relies on men still being boys and that’s why it works.

14. Shayarin Bellah says:

I literally can’t understand why people like this robotic mechanics so much.I actually don’t like it personally. I think that human is creating itself the weapon against the human society. I might be wrong but this is my thinking and for sure i will not buy any robotic mechanism software at least in my home.