- Use fresh pea seeds.
- Placing wet, non-germinated peas in vials seems to cause problems with data. To avoid wetting dry peas, determine the mass, volume and hence density of 100 dry seeds (D=M/V). Throw these peas away and then use 25 new, truly dry peas for vial (V=M/D).
- Use Teflon plumbing tape wrapped around pipettes which are inserted in stoppers. Silicon sealant works but can break down.
- Make sure that you have 10% extra vials (some may leak).
- Use aluminum roasting pans as water baths.
- Any bean seed may be used.
Talk with construction companies to find scrap materials that you can get for free and that you can use for your students’ biology science fair projects.