Beat winter boredom by building an army of interactive robots…

Every year kids are overwhelmed by two things during the holidays, boredom and sugar. This year instead of letting your kids spend hours in front of the television give them the opportunity to create, experiment and to develop their science skills. One of the best ways to do this is with the Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0.

The Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is a Lego robotics kit. It comes with 612 pieces, the instructions to create four robots and with software to program your robot. This kit can be used to explore the field of robotics or electronics. It can also be used as a form of holiday entertainment and as a science fair project tool.

What makes this kit special is that it is really advanced for the price. It offers a 32 bit microprocessor, a good sized matrix screen, four input ports, three output ports, speakers and USB and Bluetooth communication possibilities. This is a very popular kit that kids really enjoy.

Working with a robotics kit is challenging. When you first get the NXT 2.0 you will want to read through all of the instructions. This will give you an idea about what you can do with the kit. Next build each of the sample robots. This will teach you how to connect the parts and how to program the robots that you build. Finally you can design, program and operate robots of your very own.

18 thoughts on “Beat winter boredom by building an army of interactive robots…

1. Kate@Black Chandelier says:

I bought this kit for my nephew’s birthday and he absolutely loves tinkering with it. I would highly recommend it as a Christmas gift for the science whiz in your life.

2. Ron@ Online Computer Science Degree says:

It cannot be stressed how absolutely impressive Mindstorms are as an educational tool and motivator. Smart, curious and bright kids can finally move beyond the basic Lego blocks they outgrew so many years earlier, and move onto something more challenging, and more demanding of their skills.

For more information go to Lego Mindstorms NX2

3. James@PC Repair says:

This is a great way for those with kids to share good quality time with their kids. Most of us who work with computers tend to spend insane amount of time online. So, this is not just a construction tool for kids, but for parents to share and play on a one-to-one with the kids.

Nice post BTW 🙂

4. Varieties of axeminster power tools says:

Hi,

Yes, i agree one of the best to exercise the brain of your child is through toys like Lego. This one is great. My nephew have already Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0. He have great fun with it.

5. Atniz@Work At Home says:

It looks excellent. I must get it for my son. Lego Mindstorm NXT 2.0 is still not available in our local market here. Will keep an eye on this. Thanks for the review.

6. Amelia@christmas gifts says:

It’s winter time indeed and boredom is just the perfect word. An army of interactive robots will definitely take the blues away as it makes great entertainment tools.

7. Mary says:

Thank you for your recommendation! I have to say I haven’t thought that these toys can be so great. I think I wouldn’t offend my husband by giving this to him next Xmas:) instead of to our kids. He seems to enjoy it even more than they do!

8. Jeff @ Kitchen Televisons says:

Very cool idea, i really like the idea of giving kids something to do that is innovative and outside the run of the mill activities including wasting away in front of the tv.

9. Brian@Manual Juicer says:

Wow, you get a lot for $270. This package includes 3 servos and 4 sensors. The software is drag and drop so even a 10 year old can operate the software. Every kid should be required to build a robot such as this kit.

10. fullbrimhardhats says:

The likes of Lego exercises childrens minds in a different way to just playing on the computer. Plus it can be fun for all the family. A family that plays together ….. etc

11. phil@polystyrenesheetformodels says:

i recently constructed a great model from polystyrene sheet. this is a fantastic product to work with as its very easy and simople to cut and can be painted or stuck together to give a great finished item

12. thomson gold says:

Hi,
    Never mind the kids this would be interesting for us adults! And, yes, this would be good for the kids to get them away from the tv and video games.

13. Tony@Used Heavy Equipment says:

Science is a rudimentary way of explaining our environment; externally and internally. Developing science skills purpose is to develop observatory and deductive reasoning skills.

The kit spoke of wonderful sounds. I wish I had access while I was a young. Neuroscientically robotics/electronics could develop the brain’s spatial awareness, mechanical understanding and sensory motor skills.

I would like to be bold enough to say that kids as young as elementary school need to be taught with this Lego’s kit. Our schools are filled with theory and math. Anyone can observe children and say that they are not ready for theory until their mind has been developed.

To develop the brain during the early stages of childhood necessitates projects that require constructing, deconstructing, art in any form and music. I will certainly invest in legos for my kids as my parents did for me. Besides, legos are great.

14. self catering cottages` says:

This certainly sounds like a whole lot of fun to use. I can’t help but agree with thomson on the fact that this would be just as fun for adults as it would for kids. Could be great in the workplace. Everyone having their own robot and battling them in some way!

The programming side of it just sounds head and shoulders above what i had to play with when i was a kid.

Great post, i’ll have to read up a bit more about these before i get one.

15. Legos on sale says:

Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0. is a great educational toy, they can build several different robots and program them. I would recommend buying a container for all of the pieces, I actually got a couple little tackle boxes for them. My son built the robo gator and displayed it at his school lego show.

16. Mike@Private Jet Charters Miami says:

This is a must get for the little science wiz of the family. it keeps him occupied, entertained and working and stretching his brain in a positive way.

17. Custom Silicone Wristbands says:

it amazes me how fast technology is growing these days. I remember when endeavors like this were in a dream, or actually cartoon like the jetsons. Now a days its almost reality. Simply amazing.