Bioethanol science fair project will determine if usage of tofu and rice waste can make Bio-Ethanol.
Category: Environmental Sciences
Students: Khairunnisa-12 yrs old, Mazaya-12 yrs old, Galuh-13 yrs old, Mega-13 yrs old
Country: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Can We Make Bio-Fuel from Rice & Tofu Waste?
Nowadays, tofu waste has been an environmental problem in Indonesia. In line to prevent more river pollutions in Indonesia, people must care about it if we don’t want more water pollutions. According to the decreasing number of fossil fuel in Indonesia, we have to find the alternative solution for fuel. Bio-ethanol from tofu waste could be used as fuel, and it is environmental-friendly. While rice waste is the alternative solution to the tofu waste. Rice waste is often be used to feed the ducks and chickens in Indonesia, and it can be made as a rice after being cooked. Both tofu and rice waste have carbohydrate, protein, and some glucose. We can get the alcohol from the fermentation, using Inoculum (Yeast), and distillation process. This project was held in about 6 days.
Purpose: To find a way to use tofu and rice waste to make an alternative fuel source.
a) We can get a better result with the tofu waste, because it contains more protein (N)
b) We can get the alcohols after the first distillation.
a) 3 empty places for the waste.
e) Distillation tools
f) Alcohol meter
g) Tofu waste
h) Cooked rice waste
i) Inoculum (Yeast)
- Put the tofu waste, rice waste, and the mixture of those waste in each tin. Give a label.
- Add the Inoculum (Yeast) to each tin. Make sure that you have ground it so it can do the fermentation process easily.
- Then cover the tins with plastics. It is used for checking whether the fermentation process is done or not. There will be teardrops on the plastics, and if it happens then the fermentation process is successful. A fermentation process produces water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2)
- Wait until next day.
- If the plastics are blown up and there are teardrops on the plastics, you can open the cover.
- Fill the tins with water; the amount is twice the waste. Stir it using the spoon.
- Do the same things like in point C, D, and E.
- Now it’s the time to do the filtration process. You can use the filtration tools to remove all of the waste and take the solutions.
- Do the distillation process to the solutions. Do it repeatedly until you get the alcohol (it can be measured by using the alcohol meter), then you will get the bio-ethanol.
- a) Tofu and rice waste can be used to make a bio-ethanol, which can reduce the amount of air pollution caused by carbon from burning process.
- b) Inoculum (Yeast) needs both protein and carbohydrate. The tofu waste didn’t work properly because there was too much protein in that matter. While the rice waste contains more carbohydrate, so the Inoculum (Yeast) didn’t get much protein. The mixture of tofu waste and the rice waste worked better, with stronger smell and the as the result, because it contains both protein and carbohydrate in a balanced proportion.
- c) Longer we wait for the fermentation process, more alcohol we get, but we should not wait too long because the Inoculum (Yeast) can change the waste into acid.
What Would We Do Differently Next Time
- a) Wait a bit longer for the fermentation process, because it lets the Inoculum (Yeast) to change more carbohydrate.
- b) Do the distillation process repeatedly, not only once, to move the water and get the alcohol.